*Petersfield originated from “Peter’s field,” drawing from either the “field” of Peter Bye or Peter Sinclair. [Confer www.rmofstandrews.com, The Village of Petersfield]
**St. Michael’s Mission, Selkirk was established in 7 January 1877 by Archbishop Alexander Antonin Tache. Later, it became Notre Dame Church. The new named church was blessed on 11 September 1932 by Archbishop Sinnot.
1936-2011: Priests of St. Anne’s Parish
1]. Rev. Henry Berg, OMI September 1936 – August 1937
2]. Rev. Bernard Nieslony, OMI 1937-1938
3]. Rev. Paul Hilland, OMI 1939-1954
4]. Rev. Joseph Boening, OMI 1954-1963
5]. Rev. Frank Hermann, OMI 1963-1966
6]. Rev. Francis Otterbach, OMI 1966-1973
7]. Rev. Joseph Jacek, OMI 1973-1975
8]. Rev. Ronald Rissling, OMI 1975-1978
9]. Rev. Lester Kaufman, OMI 1978-1985
10]. Rev. Joseph Jacek, OMI August 1985- April 1986
11a]. Rev. George Croteau, OMI 1986-1989
11b]. Deacon Cecil Hoogenberg May 1986- June 1991
12]. Rev. Ronald Zimmer, OMI 1989
13]. Rev. Don Pruner, OMI 1989-1997
14]. Rev. Sean Cahill 1997
15]. Rev. Ken Barclay 1997-1999
16]. Rev. Boguslaw Wardzinski 1999-2006
17]. Rev. Diosdado Parrenas 2006-2012
18]. Rev. Stan Gacek, OMI 2012-Present
For about 26 years [1910-1936] the Oblate Missionaries served the Catholics in the district of Petersfield [aka as “Peter’s field”*]. From their Mission House in Selkirk, i.e., St. Michael’s Mission,** the Oblate Fathers would navigate the Red River and through Netley Creek to reach out and minister to the spiritual needs of the people of Petersfield and surrounding areas.
In 1936 a parcel of land was bought and the first church was built. Archbishop Arthur Alfred Sinnot blessed the “little gem” St. Anne’s Church in the autumn of that year.
The first recorded baptism was Peter Edward Bidinost on 25 October 1936 [date of birth: 2 April 1936] by Fr. Henry Berg, OMI, the first resident pastor. The first recorded burial was Jennie Masters, 45 years old, on 18 August 1937 [date of death: 16 August 1937], also officiated by Fr. Henry.
Adjoining lots were purchased in 1949 and in 1967 for future developments of the church, cemetery and parking lot.
The first addition to the back of the church was in 1951; and a choir loft and a frontage in 1960, to accommodate more people. With the influx of the “cottage parishioners” during the summer months, a new church was built; and blessed on Sunday, 9 April 1989, by Archbishop Adam Exner.
The Oblate Fathers from St. Margaret’s Church, Little Britain, ministered to St. Anne’s Parish for many years. Since 1999 the priests of Notre Dame Church, Selkirk served the congregation of St. Anne’s.
1936-2011: 75 years of faithful service to God and community by the Parish of St. Anne, Petersfield; indeed, a great source of glad tidings and blessings to all!
Saint Anne’s Church, Petersfield